Think, then Write (Volume 1): How to Write Complex Sentences – a fully scripted, no-preparation Printable Workbook with scaffolds for students of all grades.
Many programs teach students how to write different text types, like narratives, recounts and procedures. But all texts – regardless of their length and difficulty level – are composed of sentences. In our experience, many students (even in high school) lack the ability to link their ideas together and to express sophisticated thoughts and feelings in complex sentences.
Inspired by The Writing Revolution (Hochman & Wexler, 2017), this no-prep workbook is designed to support students of all years/grades to learn how to craft effective complex sentences. It features five, fully scripted modules, each focusing on a different compound or subordinating conjunction, including:
- “because” and “so” – for cause and effect relationships;
- “but” for contrastive relationships;
- “if”, “except”, “unless” and “until”, for conditional relationships; and
- “while”, “before” and “after” for relationships between events connected by time.
For each conjunction, sentence fragment exercises have been included to kick-start complex sentence writing. To support people with additional language and learning needs, the modules feature topics that require a minimal amount of background knowledge, and include examples and scaffolds to help model and support students of all abilities.
Looking for additional structured writing resources?
If you haven’t done so already, please check out other volumes in the Think, Then Write Program:
- Think, Then Write Foundations Bundle: writing simple and compound sentences
- Think, Then Write Volume 2: writing paragraphs
- Think, Then Write Volume 3: writing transitions and short reports expressing a personal opinion
- Think, Then Write Volume 4: writing narratives
- Think, The Write Volume 5: compare and contrast objects, to see things from more than one perspective, to brainstorm pros and cons on issues, and to make arguments for and against different topics
- Think, Then Write Volume 6: tackling short answer questions
In early 2022, we will publish Think, Then Write Volume 7: Planning Essays and Assignments.