We can’t believe it!
It’s already Day 12 of our mini-Advent Calendar of tips and resources for speech pathologists in private practice!
To round out the project, let’s consider our five favourite ‘laws’ of productivity and what they mean for us all:
- Gall’s Law: Complex systems built from scratch never work and can never be made to work. Complex systems that work invariably evolve from simple systems that worked.
- Parkinson’s Law: Work expands to fill the time available for its completion. Being busy is not the same thing as being productive.
- Gate’s Law: Most people overestimate what they can achieve in a year, and under-estimate what they can achieve in ten years.
- Yerkes-Dodson Law: Performance increases with physiological or mental arousal but only up to a point. When things because too stressful, performance drops off.
- Brandolini’s Law: It takes more energy to refute nonsense than to produce it, meaning the world is full of unrefuted nonsense!
How can you apply these principles to your private practice? We thought you’d never ask!
- Start simple.
- Choose realistic, long-term goals and avoid over-extending for short-term rewards.
- Don’t chase too many goals at once. Focus on the main things that will make the biggest contribution to your professional mission.
- Monitor stress, and stay healthy.
- Despite bad press and gossip, private practices like ours, around the world, are committed to raising our standards and reputation.
We hope you’ve found our posts inspiring and useful. If so, please:
- let us know in the comments!
- subscribe to our free newsletter: the Banter BOOSTeR, packed full of additional tips and tricks for speech pathologists in private practice.
Thanks for following our post series.
We want to wish all of our followers, colleagues and friends a wonderful break, and a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.
Hi there, I’m David Kinnane.
Principal Speech Pathologist, Banter Speech & Language
Our talented team of certified practising speech pathologists provide unhurried, personalised and evidence-based speech pathology care to children and adults in the Inner West of Sydney and beyond, both in our clinic and via telehealth.